Université Paris-Saclay, CNRS, CentraleSupélec, Laboratoire EM2C,
Laboratoire EM2C, CentraleSupélec,
benoit.fiorina [at] centralesupelec.fr
My research area focuses on the modeling of turbulent reactive flows for high-performance simulation of new combustion concepts. In particular, I study the interactions between the complex chemical kinetics of combustion and turbulence to understand and predict the formation of pollutants.
Area of expertise: turbulent combustion, pollutant formation, numerical flow modeling and simulation, numerical methods applied to reactive fluid mechanics, high-performance computing.
Fields of application: aeronautical fireplaces (combustion chamber of aircraft engines, helicopters and rockets), internal combustion engines, industrial furnaces (glassmaking, metallurgy,...), industrial boilers.
- Co-coordinator (with Dr. Laurent Zimmer) of the Combustion team of the EM2C laboratory, CNRS (UPR 288)
- Deputy Director of the SMEMaG Doctoral School at the University of Paris-Saclay, in charge of the Fluid, Energetic, and processes department.
- Board member of the Normandy PSIME doctoral school (Physics, Engineering Science, Materials, Energy).
- 2015 - 2018: President of the French section of the Combustion Institute (Chair of the French section of the Combustion Institute)
- 2016-2017: Member of the ANR committee "Energy Transformation and Efficient Energy Uses", Energy Challenge.
- 2011-2015: Elected member of the National Council of Universities (CNU), section 62.
- 2006 – 2014 : Associate professor at the Ecole Centrale Paris, EM2C laboratory, CNRS (UPR 288)
- 2005 – 2006: Post-doctoral fellow at the Center for Turbulence Research, Stanford University.
- 2001 – 2004: PhD student at the research center of GDF-SUEZ and at the Ecole Centrale Paris
- 2012 Habilitation diploma to conduct research, Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse, France, supervised by Dr. Thierry Poinsot. Manuscript title: “Turbulent combustion modeling using Tabulated Chemistry”.
- 2004 Ph.D in turbulent combustion modeling, Ecole Centrale Paris, France, supervised by Pr. Nasser Darabiha. Manuscript title: “Turbulent combustion modeling to predict pollutant produced by industrial burners”. Founded by GDF-SUEZ (CIFRE grant).
- 2001 Master in Mechanics – Energy, University Henry Poincaré, Nancy, France.
- 2001 Engineer Degree in Fluid mechanics and Energy. Ecole Supérieure des Sciences et Techniques de l'Ingénieur de Nancy (ESSTIN), France.
- Reactive Media Modeling
- Computational Fluid Dynamics classes
- Coordination of student project in the field of new energetic concepts
Editorial and expertise activities
- Member of the editorial board of the Flow Turbulence and Combustion journal
- Member of the editorial board of Fuels journal
- Member of the scientific committee of the FEU exhibition, Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie, Paris.
- Member of the scientific committee of the International Workshop on Measurement and Computation of Turbulent Flames (TNF)
- Consulting activities for the French Ministry of Education and Research. Reviewer for Research Tax Credit control in the field of fluid mechanics and energy.
- Research Excellence Award of the Combustion Institute
- Paul Laffitte Prize awarded to my former doctoral student Renaud Mercier
- Gérard de Soete Prize awarded to my former doctoral student Pierre Auzillon
- Benoît Fiorina's list of publications