Laboratoire EM2C, CentraleSupélec,
benoit.fiorina [at] centralesupelec.fr
- Since 2014: Professor at the CentraleSupélec, EM2C laboratory, CNRS (UPR 288)
- 2006 – 2014 : Associate professor at the Ecole Centrale Paris, EM2C laboratory, CNRS (UPR 288)
- 2005 – 2006: Post-doctoral fellow at the Center for Turbulence Research, Stanford University.
- 2001 – 2004: PhD student at the research center of GDF-SUEZ and at the Ecole Centrale Paris
- 2012 Habilitation diploma to conduct research, Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse, France, supervised by Dr. Thierry Poinsot. Manuscript title: “Turbulent combustion modeling using Tabulated Chemistry”.
- 2004 Ph.D in turbulent combustion modeling, Ecole Centrale Paris, France, supervised by Pr. Nasser Darabiha. Manuscript title: “Turbulent combustion modeling to predict pollutant produced by industrial burners”. Founded by GDF-SUEZ (CIFRE grant).
- 2001 Master in Mechanics – Energy, University Henry Poincaré, Nancy, France.
- 2001 Engineer Degree in Fluid mechanics and Energy. Ecole Supérieure des Sciences et Techniques de l'Ingénieur de Nancy (ESSTIN), France.
Area of Expertise
- Turbulent combustion modeling
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Large Eddy Simulations
- Laminar and turbulent flames
Teaching activities and responsabilities
- Combustion theory (Ecole Centrale Paris, France and Ecole Centrale Pékin, China)
- Computational Fluid Dynamics classes (Ecole Centrale Paris)
- Head of pedagogic activities related to transportation and mobility that include organization of seminars, team student projects related to industry, industry visits; head of lab works in energy science (Ecole Centrale Paris).
- Responsible of the first year Energy Master's program (M1) of the Ecole Centrale Paris
Supervision of research
- PhD studends: Giampaolo Maio (started in 2015), Mélody Cailler (started in 2014), Cédric Mehl (started in 2014), Adrien Chatelier (started in 2014), Meng Xia (started in 2014), Maria Castela (defended in 2016, now post-doc at IST, Lisbon), Renaud Mercier (defended in 2015, now research engineer at SafranTech), Jean Lamouroux (defend in March. 2013, now research engineer at Turbomeca - Safran group), Jean Caudal (defended in Feb. 2013 ; now research engineer at Air Liquide), Diana Tudorache (defended in Feb. 2013 ; now research engineer at Air Liquide), Pierre Auzillon (defended in 2011 ; now research engineer at Snecma – Safran group), Ronan Vicquelin (defended in 2010; now assistant professor at the Ecole Centrale Paris), Elodie Betbeder-Rey (defended in 2008; now research engineer at EDF) .
- Post doctoral fellows: Benedetta Franzelli (2011-2013), Olivier Esnault (2009-2010).
Research reviewing activities
- Reviewer for international journals among which Combustion and Flame, Flow Turbulence and Combustion, AIAA Journal, Physics of Fluids, Proceeding of the Combustion Institute, Combustion Theory and Modelling, International Journal of Sustainable Aviation, International Journal of Hydrogen.
- Consulting activities for the French Ministry of Education and Research. Reviewer for Research Tax Credit control in the field of fluid mechanics and energy.
- Since 2015 : President of the French section of the Combustion Institute
- Since 2011 : Elected board member of the French section of the Combustion Institute
- 2011-2014 : Elected member of the French National Council for Universities (CNU), section 62
- Benoît Fiorina's list of publications can be downloaded here: PDF
- Benoît Fiorina, Tabulation de la cinétique chimique pour la modélisation de la combustion turbulente, Manuscrit of the Habilitation diploma to conduct research, INP Toulouse, 2013. PDF